Old Glory Post #183 was founded in 1946 with Fred Madden as Commander and Leonard Casselberry, Post Adjutant. In March 1947, S. Lucile and W.J.Wells Jr. donated lake front property on Prairie Lake with the stipulation that the Post had to erect a building of not less than 625 sq. ft. within five years or the property would revert back to the Wells family.
The Post received its American Legion Charter on March 28, 1947. The main Post Hall was dedicated in September 1986, in honor of Elbert Ramsey, Past Commander, who died in office, the summer of 1986.
The American Legion Auxiliary although active from the very beginning of Old Glory Post #183 did not receive its charter until July 1948.
The Sons of the American Legion Squadron was chartered in March 2006.
Our newest Legion family member is The American Legion Riders. They were chartered in July of 2011.
All of our organizations are active and contribute to the mission of our Post. Needless to say, we welcome anyone with the qualifications to join one or more of our family members.
Please call or visit our Post and click here for a membership application. Please submit completed application to Post 183 2706 Wells Avenue, Fern Park, FL 32730.
The American Legion is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization with great political influence perpetuated by its grass-roots involvements in the legislation process. Legionnaires’ sense of obligation to their community, state and nation drives an honest advocacy for veterans in Washington. The Legion stands not behind politics, but the issues and people that institute progress by focusing on veterans rights and quality of life. Learn about Post 183 Events.